1. Beat egg whites in a small bowl. Add almond milk, vanilla and almond extracts, and stir.
2. Combine oat flour, almond meal, baking powder and salt
in a large bowl.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine until smooth. Fold in cranberries.
4. Pour batter in to a large coffee mug. Microwave for 2 minutes and 20 seconds, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Drizzle with maple syrup and serve.
Nutrients per serving:Calories: 310, Total Fats: 10 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 1 mg, Sodium: 190 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 41 g, Dietary Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 14 g, Protein: 18 g, Iron: 2 mg
SHRIMP MARGHERITA PIZZA
Ready in 30 minutes • Makes 8 servings
1 whole wheat pizza crust dough
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 large tomatoes, diced, seeds removed
1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
10 basil leaves, roughly chopped
½ cup fresh mozzarella, sliced or shredded
16 large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Bake crust according to package directions.
2. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Insert a steamer basket. Add shrimp and steam until pink, about 5 minutes.
3. Add oil to a pan and sauté onion until fragrant and soft. Add garlic and tomatoes, and simmer about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in oregano, parsley and basil to blend, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and sea salt. Pour sauce over pizza crust. Top with mozzarella and steamed shrimp.
5. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes at 400°F or until cheese has melted. Remove from oven. Let stand 5 minutes, then cut into 8 slices.
Nutrients per serving (1 slice):
Calories: 200, Total Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 88 mg, Sodium: 345 mg, Dietary Fiber: 1 g, Total Carbohydrates: 22 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 16 g, Iron: 3 mg
This recipe comes from www.oxygenmag.com
Fit tip: These cookies make a perfect morning or preworkout snack.
HIGH-PROTEIN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Ready in 45 minutes • Makes 38 servings
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
2 cups whey protein powder
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1½ cups low-fat, small-curd cottage cheese
½ cup honey
¼ cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a fork.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the next 5 ingredients and whisk together with a fork or an electric mixer.
4. Add wet ingredients to the dry and combine thoroughly with a fork. Mix in the oats, chocolate chips and walnuts.
5. Drop by the teaspoon onto an oiled or parchment paper-lined baking tray. Bake 12 minutes until the cookies are slightly brown on top.
Nutrients per serving (2 cookies):
Calories: 99, Total Fats: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 6 mg, Sodium: 72 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 11 g, Dietary Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 7 g, Iron: 0 mg
This recipe comes from www.oxygenmag.com
•2 cups dry navy beans
•water to cover
•1 large sweet onion, diced
•1/3 cup broth (vegetable or meat)
•1/3 cup ketchup
•2 tbsp. molasses
•1 tsp. mustard (your favorite)
•1/2 tsp. chili powder
•1/2 tsp. garlic powder
•salt and pepper to taste
•1 small chopped jalapeno (optional)
Begin by checking your beans for pebbles then rinse well. Place your beans in large pot, cover with water (2″ above the beans) and cook on high heat to a boil and boil for 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and set aside for 1 hour.
Drain and re-cover with fresh water (1″ above beans) simmer over medium heat till tender.
Once the beans are tender, drain and combine the cooked beans and all the other ingredients together in a casserole dish. Bake low and slow, 325 degrees for 2 hours. Or place in a crockpot and heat on low for 8-10 hours.
This pesto recipe is delicious on meat, poultry, fish, veggies and salads.
2-3 large cloves of garlic
(try roasted garlic for a milder pesto)
1/4 cup pine nuts (or whatever you choose)
3 cups fresh basil leaves
Juice and zest of 1 lemon (well-washed)
3/4 tsp sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
(8-12 grinds, or 1/8 tsp.)
2 Tbs cold-pressed olive oil
(try different olive oils for varied flavors)
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Pulse garlic and nuts until chopped.
Add the basil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt & pepper and pulse again until incorporated with garlic and nuts.
While the processor is running, stream in olive oil until the pesto is blended to your desired consistency.
Add Parmigiano Reggiano and pulse until incorporated.
Pesto can be refrigerated for up to 1 week (can be frozen.)